Sunday, May 31, 2009

The Climb

I've been wanting to write this post for a while.

I've kept quiet about it though, because I didn't want to jinx myself.

Today, I did something I've never done and I'm darn proud of myself. But more on that later.

I always thought I'd be writing this post about the thing I did and about how great I felt because I did it, but as I drove home from Saskatoon last week I heard this song. (turn on your sound if you're not sure what I'm talking about).

I realized that I am more proud of my own climb than I am of reaching the top of my mountain.

My story started in Grade 5. I was never good at sports. The only track and field event I can remember being chosen for was ball throw, and I only got a Participation badge for the Canada Fitness testing, when everyone else in the class got at least bronze or better. There were only two of us that got participation badges. Me and Michelle who was a much larger girl than me in grade 5, and we both couldn't do the required amount of pushups. My teacher made us go up in front of the class for one last try to see if we could do them. We couldn't. And so, just the two us got our participation badges.

That feeling never left me. That feeling that I was not athletic. That feeling that I couldn't play sports. As a grade five kid, I probably should have let it go, but for some reason, I've never been able to.


Today, I'm free.



Today, I proved to myself that I am athletic. I proved to myself that I will like this sport.



Today




I




ran




10K.


A year ago, I would have told myself I could have never done this. But, I started in January, and I didn't give up. That is what I am most proud of myself for.
It wasn't easy, and I had lots of ups and downs, but I stuck with it for 5 months, and I did it.

If you're reading this and you run regularly, 10k probably doesn't seem like a big deal. I couldn't run all the way around the 200m track when I started. I could barely run for 1 minute without having to stop.

But today I did it!!!!


0km I'm nervous, I'm excited, I hope I get through this.
2km I'm already feeling a little tired, but I'm still in aerobic mode, I think.
3km Keep going....
4km At this point, I seriously want to just cut in with the people already headed back, think they'll notice?
5km Ok, you're halfway there, and this is how much you can run well. You can do the rest!
6km Listen to your music, listen to your music
7km Sponges! Gatorade! Energy Gel!
8km Ooh, a burst of energy.. you can do it
9km Walking and running in smaller spurts. I'm tired, but I can do it
9.5km A hill?? You've got to be kidding! I'm walking this
9.8km I see the end! No stopping now.. you can do it, you can do it!
10km I really can't believe I just did this :O)



*******************
Update:
1576 936/1165 F 174/209 Female 30-34 6171 1:16:39 1:15:25 7:33 Erin James Calgary AB

And I didn't even finish last!!!! There were 500 people behind me ;o)

6 comments:

  1. Congradualtions Erin!! That is incredible. I've only run 5k and hated every minute of it. I realised that I am not a runner.

    I had the exact same experience in the gym class when I was in elementary school I only ever got participation badges. It was those damn chin ups!

    I am so very happy for you. This is huge. I hope you treat yourself to something special, you totally deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will join you in the "non-athletic just got the participation badge" group. Since becoming an adult (or so they tell me), I've run a 10k, a 30k, a half marathon and a marathon. After that I figured that I had proven all I needed to prove & haven't run since. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I meant to start that last comment with "Congratulations! You rock!" I got carried away with excitement over finding someone else who was as "un-athletic" as I was in elementary school!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!!! Your post nearly made me cry. I can completely relate to your experience - I was never very athletic and I dreaded the Canada Fitness test every year. I completed the learn to run clinic two years ago to prove to myself that I could do it and then I ran my first 10k last year. What an amazing feeling. I'm happy to hear you stuck with it and crossed the finish line!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! You should be incredibly proud of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Congrtulations, Erin! That is a great accomplishment - you have every right to be extremely proud of yourself!

    ReplyDelete